Putting on events such as the Motatapu would be impossible without the help and support of volunteers. We have always been extremely lucky to have fantastic, enthusiastic and hard-working volunteers at our event. We know what a long and tiring day it can be helping out, and we appreciate our volunteers for giving up their time to help. We would like to say a big THANK YOU to all of our volunteers!
If you would like to become a volunteer at the Motatapu, we would love to hear from you.
With over 3500 competitors we need more volunteers than ever, so please get involved!
What could you be doing?
Aid Station and Check Point Volunteers
We have five Aid Stations and three Check Points throughout the various courses to provide support to competitors. Two of the Aid Stations and two of the Check Point crews have to camp overnight before race day. These are in remote locations and once you are there you get to enjoy the awesome surroundings and atmosphere until the last competitor has passed through.
This is a great way to see the country side if you don’t want to compete and there is a great feeling of satisfaction helping all of the competitors as they traverse the course. The competitors really appreciate all the on-course support from the crews on course, as you are their only support out there!
We need marshals everywhere! With 5 events running simultaneously we need your help to ensure directions, safety, and support is provided to all of the athletes. Marshals can be found at the start line in Glenhu Bay, Wanaka along the Arrow River, and throughout Arrowtown where they help at the Finish Line, Tri Transition and Miners Trail.
We need volunteers to man the information tents at Glendhu Bay & Butlers Green, Arrowtown. You will be given the information to be able to answer general questions and help direct competitors and supporters alike. This is for those of you that like a hugely varied day full of suprises!
We need a good number people to allocate transponders at various start line locations. A chance to be right in the heart of the action.
Set-up & Pack-down crew
We need people during the days leading up to the event and the days after. We need two types of supporters here. A few big strong bodies before and after the event to help pack up or down gear, happy to discuss any hours you could provide. We also have jobs to pack competitor bags and this would suit volunteers pre event that could lend a few hours.
We do have opportunities for communitiy groups to help with the event in return for a donation, please contact us to discuss the options.
What we ask from you:
- Attend a registration evening approximately one week before the event. Come along, receive your information pack, meet other volunteers and enjoy a beer and bite to eat. At the meeting we will ensure each volunteer is well briefed and suitably equipped with knowledge of their role and any health and safety requirements. If you can't attend the briefing you will be sent all the required information.
- Be available on the Reserve Day (Sunday) in case unfavourable weather means the race takes place on the Reserve day.
- Be available for at least one day during the Motatapu event week. We need lots of hands on deck for event day but we also need spare hands for setting up the event on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday set up and pulling down the event on Sunday (or Monday if the reserve day is used).
Some of the items our volunteers receive:
- An Icebreaker Motatapu top (We do ask you donate a minimum of 8 hours time over the week)
- A Packed Lunch on race day
- The official Motatapu magazine - Iconic Adventures
- Motatapu branded drink bottle
- A well deserved Beer at the end of the day
- A BIG thanks and sense of pride
Sounds fun! How do I sign up?
To get involved please complete the online volunteer application form - click here
If you have any other questions about volunteering please feel free to contact us at email@example.com
"It was a great day, well run, and enjoyed by everyone I spoke to before and after the event. I hope to volunteer again next year."
"It was a privilege to be part of your highly organised team"
"I found the whole day really exciting and was glad to be part of it."
"Just wanted to say thanks for getting me involved over last week, I really enjoyed the event and thought that you event team, and volunteers were top notch!"
"Thank you so much for a marvelous day on Saturday. It was a unique experience for our younger generation, very inspiring to watch. Apart from having sore throats from cheering and sore hands from clapping the girls all had a great day...we'll be happy to help out again, if we're not entered!"